AVANCES was a multi-year regional initiative that helped create the necessary conditions for civil society in Latin America to organize and respond to the restriction of human rights and closing political space by governments. PartnersGlobal, along with implementing partners Fundacion Esquel in Ecuador and Instituo de Estudios Estrategicos y Politicas Publicas (IEEPP) in Nicaragua, has provided technical and financial support to grassroots organizations in their respective countries. Together, we have helped these civil society organizations (CSOs) advocate effectively and engage their constituencies in the democratic process. Despite operating in restrictive political environments, PartnersGlobal and its local partners achieved many concrete results, including:
- 10 local advocacy projects in both countries to defend the civic space and promote democratic values which engaged over 1,000 women and directly benefitted nearly 2,000 people.
- Ecuador CSO Rescate Escolar convened three working breakfasts to draft a municipal ordinance, held two large workshops on preventing school violence and bullying, and built lasting alliances with other activist organizations.
- In Ecuador, Partners trained groups on how to promote the rights of marginalized populations. These then hosted a Human Rights Festival, with active participation of government officials.
- In Nicaragua, beneficiary CSOs conducted four working sessions in schools to promote youth participation and political engagement. The 57 participating students then designed seven small community actions to raise awareness.
- Established a Human Rights Center through a local CSO in Nicaragua to help residents with legal advice and assistance that continues in operation.