Position Title: Strategic Communications Manager
Position Status: Full time
Location: Washington, DC
PartnersGlobal (previously Partners for Democratic Change), established in 1989, is an international, non-governmental organization committed to building sustainable capacity to advance democratic institutions, civil society, and a culture of peaceful change and conflict management worldwide. PartnersGlobal specializes in organizational development and social entrepreneurship, having provided the seed capital and technical assistance to establish 21 independent, local Centers around the world.
PartnersGlobal adheres to the values of participatory decision-making, collaboration, and consensus-building as the fundamentals of an inclusive, democratic society; and, we promote the application of these skills in all aspects of our work. The PartnersGlobal team includes process experts, facilitators, and trainers who apply those collaborative skills to achieve concrete results in technical areas such as rule of law development, women’s empowerment, security sector reform, and natural resource management. Our network of local Centers is renowned for undertaking cutting edge work and applying our process expertise to convene disparate parties to jointly tackle some of the most complex development challenges.
PartnersGlobal is seeking a strategic, results-oriented and experienced communications professional who believes strongly in the organization’s mission. Reporting to the President, the Strategic Communications Manager will focus on advancing the reputation and impact of PartnersGlobal and its programs by helping to develop and implement communication strategies and by providing strategic guidance and oversight to marketing, public relations and digital engagement efforts. This position will enhance brand identity, improve content and ensure consistency across platforms.
KEY ROLES AND DUTIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support the President in the development and implementation of the overall strategic communication plan for the organization, including communication strategies for internal audiences to increase understanding of PartnersGlobal’s activities, management decisions, achievements, and challenges;
- Serve as the primary writer of newsletters, blog posts, press releases, website, and quarterly Board of Directors updates, tailored for specific audiences including other nonprofits, government, the private sector, and civil society;
- Collaborate with the Development Team, particularly on external facing materials such as fundraising appeals or grant proposals, and help to generate ideas to expand the PartnersGlobal audience and its supporters;
- Develop high-level communications partnerships with nonprofits, government leaders, universities, private sector companies, etc., that support PartnersGlobal’s programs and mission;
- Advise the organization and program leaders on how develop their strategic communications plan and provide guidance on how to manage and deliver on identified plans and priorities,
- Maintain organizational brand standards and organizational identity across communications;
- Manage all media relations activities;
- Identify and secure conference attendance, speaking opportunities and other high-profile opportunities for the organization;
- Work across the team and the organization to develop and manage the communications budget; and
- Manage special projects as needed.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 5 or more years progressively responsible experience developing integrated communication strategies that advance organizational goals, build the organizational brand and grow key programs;
- Prior professional experience serving nonprofit organizations or civil society building groups at an international level preferred;
- Strong knowledge of digital communications platforms and how to leverage them for effective communications; and
- Experience with Salesforce or other constituent relationship management platforms a plus.
MINIMUM EDUCATION/TRAINING REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, or Marketing, or equivalent work or military experience;
- Full professional fluency in English (Proficiency in French or other relevant languages of PartnersGlobal program regions considered a plus); and
- Legal status to work in the U.S. is required.
OTHER SKILLS/ABILITIES/CHARACTERISTICS REQUIRED:
- Dedicated team player with exceptional interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity, who demonstrates strong leadership soft skills, including the ability to harness the talents and focus of a global network of colleagues, including U.S. and foreign national staff and civil society, government and private sector actors;
- Excellent storytelling abilities and the capacity to frame PartnersGlobal’s story in a clear and compelling way to internal and external audiences;
- Strong writing skills with the ability to communicate to diverse audiences and quickly turn around quality material;
- Impeccable copy-editing skills: grammar, punctuation, spelling variants, usage;
- Eager to dive into complex policy areas, synthesize information, and turn around a winning and compelling message;
- Entrepreneurial; strong problem-solver who takes a solution-oriented and creative approach to challenges;
- Highly organized but flexible, detail-oriented, and able to manage a variety of projects while maintaining focus on high-level organizational goals; and
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send (via e-mail) a résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please indicate in the subject of the email and cover letter that you are applying for the “Strategic Communications Manager”
Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
PartnersGlobal is an EEO Employer
At PartnersGlobal, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay and do their best work. Diversity is more than a commitment at PartnersGlobal—it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
As an equal opportunity employer, PartnersGlobal recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Please contact our Talent Manager, Edith Kardouni, at email@example.com for assistance. We welcome the opportunity to discuss accommodation of your disability and ensure fairness in our hiring process.