Position Title: Senior Program Manager, Sub-Saharan Africa (Anglophone Portfolio)
Position Type: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Open Date: June 10, 2019
Supervisor: Director for Africa Programs
ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND: PartnersGlobal (previously Partners for Democratic Change), established in 1989, is an international, non-governmental organization (NGO) committed to building sustainable capacity to advance democratic institutions, civil society, and a culture of peaceful change and conflict management worldwide. PartnersGlobal specializes in organizational development and social entrepreneurship for democracy and peace, having provided the seed capital and technical assistance to establish 21 independent, local Partners’ Centers around the world. Together, these Centers comprise the Partners Network, a global civil society platform of collegial NGOs working for democratic change in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa.
PartnersGlobal adheres to the values of participatory decision-making, collaboration, conflict transformation and consensus-building as the fundamentals of an inclusive, democratic society; and, we promote the application of these skills in all aspects of our work. Our diverse, global team includes process experts, facilitators, and trainers who apply those collaborative skills to achieve concrete results in a diverse range of technical areas such as the rule of law, women’s empowerment, security sector reform, and natural resource management. The Partners Network is renowned for cultivating local leaders who undertake cutting edge work; applying our process expertise to convene disparate parties and innovative partnerships to jointly tackle some of the most complex social and political challenges in conflict-affected and transitioning countries.
As the organization prepares to celebrate our 30th Anniversary, we continue to adapt and respond to a rapidly changing world. Keeping with our core mission, we are poised to expand our network with new investments in Partners’ Centers in the Middle East and Africa. Together with our Network colleagues, we are building new partnerships and participating in broad-based coalitions to collectively respond to the alarming trends of democratic backsliding and increasing polarization in all corners of the globe. PartnersGlobal is a recognized sector leader in addressing civil society resiliency in the face of closing political space, with a unique accompaniment model for financial diversification and late-stage organizational transitions. An entrepreneurial spirit is deeply embedded within our organizational culture, leading to our collective offering of several innovative products, methodologies and partnership platforms, most recently: the Partners’ Security Governance, Accountability and Performance (SGAP) Toolkit; the Islands of Integrity methodology, a systemic approach to local government corruption; and, our Narratives for Peace platform.
Primary Objective: The last few years have been a period of rapid growth for Partners’ Africa Team. The team’s strategic priorities are security reform, access to justice, women peace and security, natural resource management, and civil society strengthening, anti-corruption, and organizational development with current programming in Senegal, Guinea, Nigeria and Burkina Faso. The team is also exploring expansion into East and Southern Africa and seeking to scale existing programs both in Anglophone and Francophone West Africa. We are now seeking a qualified Senior Program Manager with technical expertise in conflict resolution/peacebuilding/citizen security and demonstrated experience building skills and capacities of local partners in these areas. The Senior Program Manager would also have program and financial management experience and be willing to relocate to Nigeria for a period of 6 to 9 months, with two 3-month deployments. This position is contingent upon funding. Partners recently submitted a funding proposal to the US Department of State’s Bureau for Democracy Human Rights and Labor. The proposed project seeks to work in the Middle Belt of Nigeria and is focused on the farmer herder conflict. Partners’ proposal responded to the announcement funding opportunity SFOP0005558, Increasing Civilian Security in Nigeria.
PartnersGlobal works with recognized national partners and integrates into program design collaborative, participatory processes to ensure buy-in and sustainability beyond the life of the programs. Partners current portfolio in Nigeria includes three US State Department programs focused the on: reducing pre-trial detention, providing legal aid and human rights education to citizens, with the third providing support to civil society organizations to advance the implementation of Nigeria’s Open Government Partnership commitments. The Senior Program Manager would be required to support these projects as well.
The Senior Program Manager will work on the Nigeria portfolio and with Africa team members and partners in the region to provide high quality deliverables and identify innovative solutions to contribute to portfolio growth and monitor ongoing impacts. He/she will provide program management support from DC and the field and conduct field an initial field assignment in the first 9 months of Partners civilian security project, contingent upon funding.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the development of a vibrant organization that already has a track record of impressive work that is well respected by donors and local organizations alike. PartnersGlobal has a strong portfolio of programs not only across the Africa region but also in Middle East/North Africa, Europe, and Latin America. We have a committed staff of 23, a friendly and supportive office culture, combined with a passionate belief in our work and the potential to expand.
- Work under the supervision of the Deputy Director to ensure effective implementation of programming and performance objectives are being met within timeline and budget;
- Build technical capacity of local partners through training, mentoring, and coaching in conflict analysis methods such as Do No Harm; conflict mitigation and peacebuilding including dialogue/consensus facilitation, mediation, and negotiation;
- Lead the drafting of program-related documents including quarterly and final reports to donors, program workplans and communications plans;
- Serve as the main point of contact for the Operations and Finance teams to ensure all fiscal and performance activities are in compliance with PartnersGlobal policies and procedures and funder regulations;
- Work closely with finance team counterparts and the senior program associate on monitoring program budgets, including analyzing projections vs actuals, forecasting and recasting, and preparing modifications (e.g. realignments, cost and no cost extensions), producing invoices, reviewing monthly financial reports, preparing advance requests, wire requests, travel authorizations and expense reports;
- Maintain effective relations and coordination with local implementing organizations, program partners, and donors, organizing regular program check-ins and applying effective problem-solving skills when faced with challenges related to implementation and/or contextual factors;
- Serve as a lead technical writer as business development opportunities arise, including drafting of technical proposals and concept notes, logical frameworks and performance monitoring plans, and supervising the development of budgets and other supplementary materials;
- Manage fee-for-service activities including designing scopes of work for consultants and other service providers;
- Oversee the drafting of subcontractor and vendor contracts by junior staff, review subcontractor financial reports;
- Manage and monitor sub-grants and contracts with international and national partners;
- Support the communications team with content on Sub-Saharan Africa program success stories and impacts;
- Oversee the logistical and travel arrangements for in-field visits, with anticipated travel up to 30%
- Fulfill other duties as assigned, and support team members across the broader Africa portfolio when necessary.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree desired) in conflict resolution, international relations, African studies, or related subject pertaining peacebuilding/conflict resolution and international development.
- A minimum of 5 to 8 years related experience working on development and/or peacebuilding programs;
- Proven experience in training local partners in conflict analysis, dialogue and consensus facilitation, mediation, negotiation;
- Professional background in West Africa region strongly desired with solid understanding of natural resource conflicts including conflict dynamics in the Middle Belt of Nigeria;
- Excellent oral and writing skills with ability to express complex ideas clearly, succinctly, and in a digestible way;
- Ability to analyze, organize, problem-solve, manage, and prioritize work;
- High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with U.S. and foreign national staff and civil society, government and the private sector actors;
- Experience in supporting new business development, including country assessments, monitoring and evaluation, conducting donor research, drafting political analysis, concept notes, and contributing to technical proposals;
- Experience with fulfilling short/long-term field assignments;
- Demonstrated knowledge and competency in one or more of Partners’ program areas (e.g. security sector reform, natural resource management, organizational development, conflict resolution, rule of law/access to justice, civil society strengthening, good governance);
- High-level proficiency in MS Excel, tracking budgets, analyzing grants reports, and using budget and financial information to inform programming decisions, and familiarity with 2CFR 200;
- Proven team player with the skills and ability to form positive relations with colleagues.
Application Instructions: Please submit a cover letter and resume by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than July 10, 2019. As the subject, please type: “Application: SENIOR PROGRAM MANAGER ANGLOPHONE AFRICA”. No telephone calls, please.
PartnersGlobal is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on sex, gender, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, pregnancy, marital status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.