Position Title: Senior Advisor for Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, & Learning
Position Status: Full time
Location: Washington, DC
Salary: Commensurate with experience
ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND: PartnersGlobal, which was established in 1989 as Partners for Democratic Change, is a non-governmental organization (NGO) that stands at the intersection of peacebuilding and democracy-building. We work through an international civil-society network to create partnerships with local leaders to transform conflict, strengthen democratic institutions, and achieve sustainable development. We specialize in organizational development and social entrepreneurship for peace and democracy, having provided the seed capital and technical assistance to establish over 20 independent Partners Centers around the world. Together, these Centers comprise the Partners Network, a civil-society platform of NGOs working in Africa, the Americas, Europe and the Middle East.
PartnersGlobal considers the principles of collaboration, participatory decision-making, consensus-building and conflict transformation to be the foundation of a peaceful and democratic society. We integrate these “platform-building” skills into all aspects of our work. Our diverse global team includes facilitators and trainers who apply these skills to achieve results across a diverse range of areas such as human rights, women’s empowerment, access to justice, social accountability, security-sector reform, and natural-resource management. The Partners Network is renowned for cultivating local leaders who convene disparate parties and broker innovative partnerships to address key political, economic and social challenges in conflict-affected and transitional countries.
In anticipation of its 30th anniversary next year, PartnersGlobal has just completed a strategic vision for the next decade. One of the highest priorities of our new strategy is to establish a comprehensive system for monitoring, evaluation, research and learning. Such a system would enable us to be a leading contributor to the evidence base underlying peacebuilding and democracy-building.
Towards this end, PartnersGlobal has created the new full-time position of Senior Advisor for Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL). Reporting to the Executive Director, the Senior Advisor will lead the organization’s efforts to create a cutting-edge MERL system and a vibrant learning culture.
The comprehensive MERL system will include the following elements:
Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E)
- Evidence-based Theories of Change at the core of every project;
- Project-level Results Frameworks (with relevant indicators and targets) that effectively and efficiently test the Theories of Change; and
- Sophisticated quantitative and qualitative methods that capture and assess project results in the context of the Theories of Change.
Research & Learning (R&L)
- Grouping of project-level Theories of Change into discrete but related parts of an organization-wide learning agenda on peacebuilding and democracy-building;
- Analysis of project results across countries and regions in order to make more generalizable conclusions regarding specific Theories of Change; and
- Situating of these conclusions within the body of existing evidence and literatures.
- Dissemination of both M&E and R&L results;
- Partnerships with donor, implementing and research organizations on all of the above work; and
- Annual reports summarizing progress on our learning agenda.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Organize and lead cross-team working group on MERL.
- Assess current monitoring & evaluation efforts in project design and implementation.
- Based on this assessment, design and implement a comprehensive MERL system.
- Train program staff in fundamental MERL methods.
- Develop an organization-wide research & learning agenda based on current and prospective projects.
- Build MERL strategic partnerships with donor, implementing and research organizations.
- On a continuing basis, serve as the MERL advisor to program teams and field-based partners on specific projects.
Qualifications for the Position:
- Advanced degree in relevant social-science field required. Ph.D. preferred.
- Experience in both quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- At least five years of MERL experience in peacebuilding and/or democracy-building within donor, implementing or research organizations (including experience supporting M&E efforts of local NGOs in developing countries).
- Experience leading teams and conducting staff training in such organizations.
Application Instructions: Please submit the following by November 30, 2018, by email to email@example.com:
- cover letter;
- resume; and
- relevant writing sample.
The cover letter should be no longer than two single-spaced pages and should detail the applicant’s relevant professional and academic experience. The writing sample should reflect the applicant’s relevant MERL expertise. Please type as the subject of the email: Application: Senior Advisor for MERL
Interested colleagues are encouraged to apply early since interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please.
PartnersGlobal is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on sex, gender, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, pregnancy, marital status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.