Position Title: Middle East & North Africa Intern
Position Type: Part-time or full-time (minimum 20 hours/week); $1,000 stipend
Start and End Dates: September 30 – December 15 (dates are flexible pending availability)
PartnersGlobal (previously Partners for Democratic Change), established in 1989, is an international, non-governmental organization committed to building sustainable capacity to advance democratic institutions, civil society, and a culture of peaceful change and conflict management worldwide. PartnersGlobal specializes in organizational development and social entrepreneurship, having provided the seed capital and technical assistance to establish 21 independent, local Centers around the world. Together, these Centers comprise the Partners Network.
PartnersGlobal adheres to the values of participatory decision-making, collaboration, and consensus-building as the fundamentals of an inclusive, democratic society; and, we promote the application of these skills in all aspects of our work. The PartnersGlobal team includes process experts, facilitators, and trainers who apply those collaborative skills to achieve concrete results in technical areas such as the rule of law, women’s empowerment, security sector reform, and natural resource management. The Partners Network is renowned for undertaking cutting edge work and applying our process expertise to convene disparate parties to jointly tackle some of the most complex development challenges.
The Middle East and North Africa (MENA) team in Washington D.C. advances these goals by working on conflict resolution and mitigation, youth engagement, transitional justice, and civil society strengthening and capacity development with projects that span Iraq, Yemen, and the Gulf region.
We are looking for a dynamic individual to join us as a MENA Intern to assist with programmatic support, proposal development and program design efforts, and communications. PartnersGlobal is committed to fostering a vibrant learning and professional development atmosphere. We provide mentorship and hands-on support to develop new skillsets and relevant experiences for those interested in the fields of international development and conflict resolution. As a Fall Intern with the MENA team, you will be provided an opportunity to work with the team and wider Partners staff of process and thematic experts both in Washington, DC and throughout the MENA region.
Learning opportunities include:
- Develop your project management skills by compiling, cleaning, preparing, analyzing, and visualizing data in an ongoing project in Yemen;
- Enhance your research skills by preparing written deliverables that communicate qualitative research and quantitative analysis in a simple, concise, and interpretable manner;
- Expand your ability to conduct event specific communication materials through supporting regional roundtables and events, as well as developing content for social media, success stories and other donor requirements;
- Assist in the co-design and implementation of institutional development plans for Partners MENA Centers;
- Increase your knowledge of country contexts through providing editing support for donor reports, presentations, and other key program documents and tracking trending news and policy topics then updating the team on current events in all priority countries (Iraq, Yemen, Lebanon, Algeria, Tunisia, Kuwait, Jordan, and Bahrain);
- Attend conferences, trainings, and meetings to increase visibility and promote Partners’ work, and capitalize on networking opportunities; and
- Build your knowledge of MENA region donors through developing targeted outreach content and updating MENA communications materials such as website updates, impact flyers, thematic and program one-pagers.
Qualifications: The ideal prospective candidate is an undergraduate with demonstrated interest, work experience, and/or academic study in the MENA region, particularly Yemen, and/or human rights, democratic governance, conflict resolution, or international development; exceptional English language, research, writing, and editing skills; strong quantitative and analytical skills, specifically experience working with Excel; excellent interpersonal skills; and an insatiable desire to learn. Arabic language skills are preferred but not required.
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 9th. Remember to indicate that you are applying for the position of MENA/Communications Intern. No phone calls please. Partners will contact applicants for an interview or to request additional information.
Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on sex, gender, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, pregnancy, marital status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.