Position Title: Peacebuilding Intern
Position Type: Part-time (20 hours/week minimum time commitment); unpaid
Start and End Dates: January 14, 2019-May 3, 2019 (Start and end dates are flexible)
PartnersGlobal, established in 1989, is an international, non-governmental organization committed to building sustainable capacity to advance democratic institutions, civil society, and a culture of peaceful change and conflict management worldwide. PartnersGlobal specializes in organizational development and social entrepreneurship, having provided the seed capital and technical assistance to establish and support 20 independent, local Centers around the world. Together, these Centers comprise The Partners Network.
PartnersGlobal adheres to the values of participatory decision-making, collaboration, and consensus-building as the fundamentals of an inclusive, democratic society; and, we promote the application of these skills in all aspects of our work. The PartnersGlobal team includes process experts, facilitators, and trainers who apply those collaborative skills to achieve concrete results in technical areas such as the mediation and facilitation, collaborative advocacy, inclusive security governance, and organizational resiliency. The Partners Network is renowned for undertaking cutting edge work and applying our process expertise to convene disparate parties to jointly tackle some of the most complex development challenges.
The Global Initiatives Team focuses on learning and knowledge management, asset creation and technical support to regional teams. As such, we are at the forefront of trends in the peacebuilding and international development field, with ongoing initiatives focused on operationalizing new frameworks for peace and organizational resiliency for civil society (ability to withstand a shock to the system and maintain viability). The Global Initiatives team also is in the process of reviewing and updating existing training curricula on Partners ‘approaches to peacebuilding and organizational resiliency, such as cooperative advocacy, security governance multi-stakeholder framework and anti-corruption methodology, as well as develop new core modules to address the changing political and economic realities described above like strategic communications and storytelling.
Internship Description: We are looking for a dynamic individual to join us as a Global Initiatives Peacebuilding Intern to assist with the research, content development/adaptation and outreach associated with the workstreams described above. PartnersGlobal is committed to fostering a vibrant learning and professional development atmosphere. We provide mentorship and hands-on support to develop new skill areas and direct access to organizations and thought leaders working at the cross-section of peacebuilding and international development. As an Intern with the Global Initiatives team, you will be provided an opportunity to work with Partners staff in Washington, DC and The Partners Network centers located throughout the world.
Learning opportunities include:
- Co-develop new learning modules for internal and external partners related to emerging needs of civil society in the face of closing political space;
- Assist with organization of a catalogue of Partners Network proven approaches and methodologies to conflict resolution and sustainable development;
- Participate in internal brainstorming activities to refine and adapt initiatives with PartnersGlobal and partners, with collaborating organizations such as CIVICUS and Rotary International;
- Analyze and codify data from interviews with civil society members that will be translated into internal and external organizational resiliency training priorities for Partners staff and network members;
- Coordinate programs related to peacebuilding and civil society strengthening, keeping track of deadlines, editing reports and liaising with our clients;
- Support co-design/revision of core training modules to be delivered in person, online, and via educational videos;
Qualifications: The ideal prospective candidate is a current graduate student with a strong interest in exploring the future needs of organizations in this field, including:
- Academic history/demonstrated interest in peacebuilding, international development, education, and/or communications;
- exceptional research, writing, and editing skills;
- demonstrated interest in and/or experience working with online educational tools, resources and technology software for e-learning possibilities;
- familiarity with and/or interest in learning about principles of adult learning, facilitation and/or mediation, and peacebuilding frameworks;
- previous experience working in a dynamic, fast paced start-up environment;
- excellent interpersonal skills; and
- an insatiable desire to learn.
English proficiency is required and foreign language skills are encouraged.
To Apply: Please send (via e-mail) a résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We accept applications on a rolling basis. Please indicate in the email and cover letter that you are applying for the Peacebuilding Internship with Global Initiatives. No phone calls please. We would love to talk to you but only after you have submitted the information above. Partners will contact applicants for an interview or to request additional information. This position is unpaid.
Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on sex, gender, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, pregnancy, marital status, age, physical disability, medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.