Partners for Democratic Change (Partners), established in 1989, is an international, non-governmental organization committed to building sustainable capacity to advance democratic institutions, civil society, and a culture of change and conflict management worldwide. Partners specializes in organizational development and social entrepreneurship, having provided the seed capital and technical assistance to establish 19 independent, local Centers throughout the world. Together, these Centers compose the Partners for Democratic Change International (PDCI) network, which has two hubs: one in Washington D.C., with Partners serving in this capacity, and the other based in Brussels. The PDCI network represents the best in international expertise and local leadership in disseminating democracy skills and conflict transformation planning worldwide.
Partners adheres to the values of participatory decision-making, collaboration, and consensus-building as the fundamentals of an inclusive and democratic society, and we promote the application of these skills in all aspects of our work. The global Partners team includes process experts, facilitators, and trainers who apply those collaborative skills to achieve concrete results in technical areas such as the rule of law, women’s empowerment, security sector reform, and sustainable environmental development. PDCI is a network with a high reputation for undertaking cutting edge work. More than 276 highly committed, professional staff work within our network and have the specialist skills necessary to bring about lasting positive change in their communities.
Primary Objective: Partners is seeking an experienced Senior Manager to work with the MENA Director to lead the management of programs related to accountability and transparency in the MENA region, and participate in the development of processes and procedures to ensure efficient operations, program implementation, and new business development. Specifically, this position will manage the work of a consortium of organizations to design and implement innovative citizen-led accountability and transparency initiatives across the MENA region.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the development of a vibrant organization that already has a track record of impressive work that is well respected by donors and local organizations alike. Partners for Democratic Change has a healthy portfolio of projects not only across the MENA region, but also in Africa, Europe, and Latin America. We have a committed staff of 20, a friendly and supportive office culture, combined with a passionate belief in our work and the potential to expand.
• Work with MENA senior leadership to manage Partners’ programs in MENA region around accountability and transparency;
• Coordinate the work of the consortium members in Washington, DC and overseas, providing guidance, leadership, and technical expertise in the design and implementation of innovative citizen-led accountability and transparency initiatives; Develop relationships with other organizations engaged in accountability and transparency work globally and in the MENA region, developing partnerships as needed to further the goals of the program;
• Develop program concepts; manage proposal process and timeline for proposal submissions; draft program objectives, results and indicators; and, contribute to program strategy;
• Monitor regional political developments and provide political and programmatic analysis;
• Manage assigned program areas and anticipate program and administrative needs;
• Ensure programs are in compliance with donor reporting requirements. Create and maintain strategic partnerships with funders and partner organizations;
• Provide management and backstopping to Partners’ projects in the MENA region and participate in the development and implementation of processes and procedures (management and financial) to ensure efficient operations and program implementation;
• Oversee key program functions (with a strong emphasis on financial management), including fulfilling HQ and field responsibilities;
• Travel to region, as necessary, to support field-based teams in program implementation, reporting, and monitoring and evaluation;
• Maintain collaborative relationships with international democratic development organizations, civic organizations, and PDCI’s network of volunteer trainers and experts;
• Contribute to the production of communication materials to upload to our website and circulate to our key contacts/stakeholders and contribute to our presence on social media;
• Fulfill other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in International Relations or related subject; advanced graduate degree preferred.
• A minimum of seven years relevant experience in managing international development projects (project design, start-up, implementation, and close-out) with a substantial proportion of that time devoted to work in the MENA region;
• Demonstrated experience in implementing citizen-led accountability and transparency programs;
• Professional background in MENA region essential;
• Must be a team player with a high level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity ready to respond to the challenges of the day-to-day management of a diverse and demanding portfolio and to contribute to its growth. Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced work environment;
• A proven record and experience managing U.S. government-funded projects (understanding regulations, procedures, requirements, and demands and being able to respond to them with a high level of professionalism and knowledge);
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English with the ability to express complex ideas clearly;
• Advanced Arabic language skills preferred but not required;
• A track record writing proposals, coordinating proposal development efforts, and writing different types of technical reports and the ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of stakeholders and actors in HQ and in the field;
• A proven record developing, managing and tracking complex budgets and issuing financial reports;
• High-level proficiency in MS Excel including formula utilization required. Prior experience with budget development and budget administration required. High-level proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) required. High level proficiency in data entry and database management required;
• A track record of creating and sustaining strategic partnerships and negotiating with donors, prime contractors, and project partners;
• Experience with and ability to fulfill short-term field and HQ assignments;
• Demonstrated knowledge and competency in one or more of Partners’ program areas (e.g. conflict resolution, civil society, good governance, environment, capacity building);
• Ability to analyze, organize, problem-solve, manage, and prioritize work;
• Experience of working in the MENA region or on projects and programs with a focus on the MENA region;
• US citizenship is mandatory.
Commensurate with experience
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email only
, no later than November 17, 2013. As the subject, please type: “Application: MENA Senior Manager”. No telephone calls, please.